Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Melting Ice

Contribution by Mike

This image was snapped on an unseasonably warm Sunday afternoon. I noticed the beautiful sounds coming from the water drops. When I arrived at the source, I saw these few remaining icicles and was intrigued by the lines that painted the background. A perpendicular look is created from the vertical icicles and the horizontal/diagonal lines of the house, which adds to the interest of the photo. I also felt the colors contrasted each other artfully, with the deep reddish browns and the clear ice blues. I enhanced the contrast of the over all picture using iphoto, as well as deepening the impact of the colors. I felt this piece worked better in color than in black in white, thus the departure from my usual style in digital photography.

1 comment:

  1. Well, your photo description was eloquently written. You said everything I wanted to say. But I'll say it anyways just to reiterate. I do love this image. I love the contrast in colors, artful as you pointed out, as well as the contrast in textures. Along the same lines, there is contrast in form, the organic form of the icicles versus the geometric form of the house. The lines work very nicely in pulling the eye into the composition to land on the icicles, the focal point of the piece. I'm glad you deviated from your normal aesthetic because I think the beauty of this photo would be almost completely lost in black and white.

    ReplyDelete